KETO LINGO AND DEFINITIONS
- – commonly achieved through fasting, it’s the natural, regulated mechanism of the cell that removes unnecessary or dysfunctional components.
- AS = Artificial Sweetener
- BF – Body Fat, usually as a percentage
- BMI – Body Mass Index
- BMR – Basal Metabolic Rate
- BPC – Bulletproof Coffee, also known as Keto Coffee or Butter Coffee – Delicious Creamy coffee blended with butter, MCT oil, or coconut oil.
- BS = Blood Sugar
- Bone Broth = It’s a nutritious soup that is rich in minerals, and it’s made by boiling bones, vegetables, spices and herbs. It’s a great cure for the keto flu because it’s high in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and has high collagen content.
- CKD = Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (20-25g net carbs + high carbs days)
- Clean Keto = eating only whole foods, such as grass fed beef, pasture grazed pork and poultry, free range eggs, loads of veggies and wild caught fish.
- CO = Coconut Oil
- Dirty Keto – eating items that contain sugars/grains etc. while still staying under total carbs for the day.
- EF = Extended Fasting
- Electrolytes = sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium
- FBG is fasting blood glucose
- Fat Bomb = a keto treat that’s very high in fats, curbs cravings and helps you reach your macros. It’s usually made with a combo of ingredients such as butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder, nuts, seeds, low carb fruits, and sweeteners.
- HIIT -High-Intensity Interval training.
- HWC – Heavy Whipping Cream – a popular ingredient that’s perfect for many keto recipes.
- IIFYM – If it fits in your macros, slogan of Dirty Keto’ers
- IF – Intermittent fasting, only eating your meals in a defined time frame each day, IE only eating in the same 6 hour window everyday ( there are many variations on the time intervals.
- IR – Insulin Resistance, more information here.
- IS – insulin sensitive
- Keto Flu – is one of the most common side effects for those who are starting the keto diet and can last for up to one week, often the result of shedding water when starting a low card diet.
- Ketones = or “ketone bodies” are the byproducts of the breakdown of fatty acids for energy that occurs when the carbohydrate intake is low.
- Ketosis = a metabolic process that heavens the food intake is very low or when you limit the carbohydrate intake.
- LCHF – Low Carb High Fat ( a diet that is low in carbs and high in fat).
- Lazy Keto – this means you are still on a low carb diet but don’t track macros.
- MCT – Medium Chain Triglycerides – a type of fat with a unique structure that is quickly metabolized by your body and it’s transported directly to the liver to produce ketones.
- Macros = Short for Macronutrients: carbohydrates (carbs), protein, fat.
- NSV = Non-Scale Victory ( scale might not budge but your pants are loose)! Mood, energy improvements, all examples of NSV!
- Net Carbs = Total Carbs – Fiber – Sugar Alcohols (if in the product).
- PCOS – Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- SAD – Standard American Diet.
- SF = Sugar-Free (doesn’t mean it’s keto friendly!)
- SKD = Standard Ketogenic Diet (20-25g net carbs)
- TKD = Targeted Ketogenic Diet (20-25g carbs targeted around physical activity )
- THE WHOOSH – read here to understand the spikes and stalls of weight loss along the way to you goal weight.